Emergency Hygiene Kits
In response to the devastation caused by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, we’re praying that every person in the Plantation UMC family would be willing to put together an emergency hygiene kit, as outlined below. The kits will be sent to UMCOR (the United Methodist Committee on Relief) for distribution. You can drop your kit off at the church office, Monday through Friday, 9am to 4pm. If you have any questions, please contact Pastor Hedy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 954-584-7500.
Hygiene Kit Materials
- 1 hand towel: 15 x25 inches to 17 x 27 inches (kitchen, cleaning, and microfiber towels not acceptable)
- 1 washcloth
- 1 adult size toothbrush (do not remove from original packaging)
- 6 adhesive bandages
- ¾ inch to 1 inch-size
- Common household Band-Aids
- 1 bath-size soap (do not remove from original packaging)
- 3 oz and larger sizes only
- No Ivory or Jergens soap due to moisture content
- 1 comb
- Comb needs to be sturdy and longer than 6 inches long
- No pocket combs or picks, please
- Rattail combs and combs without handle are acceptable with a minimum of 6 inches of teeth
- 1 metal nail file or nail clippers (no emery boards, please)
- 1 plastic bag: one-gallon size sealable bag only
- $1 to purchase toothpaste (along with but separate from the kit)
- UMCOR will add toothpaste to your kit — this ensures that the toothpaste will not be past the expiration date
Set the $1 for toothpaste aside to be included in a separate envelope. Lay out the hand towel flat on a table. Lay the washcloth flat in the center of the hand towel. Place all remaining items on top of the washcloth. Fold over the sides of the hand towel to cover all of the items. Fold over one end of the hand towel so that it covers all of the items. Grasp the bundle of items tightly and roll over the remainder of the hand towel tightly. Place the tightly rolled bundle in the plastic bag. Remove as much air as possible and seal the bag.
Drop Off Location
Please drop off your completed kit(s) at the church office, Monday through Friday, 9am to 4pm. Put the $1 per kit in a separate envelope.
- All items must be new. Do not wash any of the items as then they will be considered used.
- Please remove all packaging, except on toothbrush and soap.
- All emergency kits are carefully planned to make them usable in the greatest number of situations. It is important that kits contain only the requested items, nothing more.
- UMCOR is now purchasing toothpaste in bulk to be added to Hygiene Kits before shipping to ensure that the product does not expire before they are sent. Do not put single dollar bills in each kit. The money for toothpaste will be put together in one envelope and sent along with the boxes of completed kits to UMCOR.
- UMCOR requires that all patriotic symbols be removed from the kit contents. For example, if an item in a kit has a stamp that contains the American flag, the stamp must be removed or blacked out.
- Do not include personal notes, money, or additional material.
- If you would prefer to make a donation to UMCOR, make the donation payable to Plantation UMC with the notation "UMCOR Disaster Response." If you would like to use your credit or debit card to make a donation, you can do so through Plantation UMC: click here, then click on the button to give, and enter your donation amount in the "other" line with the comment "UMCOR Disaster Response." If you need assistance with any of this, we would be happy to help. Please contact Julie Bouwens at email@example.com or 954-584-7500 extension 305.